Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Prayers of the Righteous

I coudn't sleep, so it seemed like time to actually post to my blog. The last couple of weeks have been crazy. I've spent much of the time helping my inlaws move into a new home, because my father-in-law has recurrent cancer, and needed surgery. No great joy there! However, the prognosis is as good as we could have expected. Countless people have been praying for him, and I'm convinced that has played a positive role. The prayers of the righteous avail much... right?

I guess what gets to me is the fact that I'm often reminded of just how unrighteous I really am (sometimes through self-righteousness, other times through outright sin). So I know, that amidst the chorus of righteous voices, among the prayers of the saints, ascends to God an imperfect, even seriously flawed voice -- and probably many of them. I have to be honest, I don't know what to make of that realization.

I know I need to be repentant and to accept God's grace moving me toward perfection, but I just don't feel much movement. The paradoxical solution is to pray more fervently -- despite the fact that the prayers of the righteous, not the unrighteous, are effective. Short of platitude, my only reason to hope is what I know about God's grace. Imperfect? Yes I am. A sinner? Certainly. Saved by grace and moving toward perfection? With the work of Christ, I'm sure. Now maybe I can get to sleep!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS all about grace in this case. What was credited as righteousness to Abraham, God's friend? Sinlessness? Good works? Uh uh--he BELIEVED and it was credited to him as righteousness. He trusted in the promise, and more so in the God who made the promise. He was willing to act on that belief, yes, but the belief, his faith, was what produced righteousness. Your faith, flawed and imperfect as it is (just like mine), will in time produce righteousness, as you allow God to do his work. Hang not your head, my friend--all those 'righteous' prayers you feel being so effective are produced by bumbling souls just like you and me, who happen to have been rescued by our Redeemer and Friend.

Praise Him for his indescribable gift!

-Chris

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said..."What was credited as righteousness to Abraham, God's friend? Sinlessness? Good works? Uh uh--he BELIEVED and it was credited to him as righteousness."

...and in spite of his polygamy, which obviously wasn't considered a breach of the 7th commandment; if it were, would he have been considered so righteous?